{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video- Concise Sight Reduction Tables
BillofTheNorth has made an informative video on how to use Concise Sight Reduction Tables found in the USNO's Nautical Almanac.

It is well presented, enjoyable and very understandable.

Find it here- Nautical Almanac Tutorial / Explanation - for the layperson

Thanks, Bill

CelNav57
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Thanks CellNav57 and great thanks to BillofTheNorth!

When I use the NAO Concise Reduction Form my intercept is keeps coming out almost exacactly a degree out than using 249 or 229. My HO is consistently higher than my HC. Any ideas?

Bob
All, StanK over at NavList, answered and sent me the latest version of "Celestial Tools" and I found my rounding error 2 seconds after printing the NASR results!

Bob
Bill,

That's a great presentation you did. Pardon my lack of knowledge but can the Concise Sight Reduction be performed for all celestial bodies? I'll need to study your presentation since, so far as I know, it's the only one available on the web. Does anyone know if the USNO Almanac still has the Concise method in it? Heard a rumor they discontinued it.

Granted, you can get Hc in about 10 seconds using a calculator but it sure is a lot more enjoyable using paper and pencil as you demonstrate.

Lous
(03-12-2018, 11:53 PM)LouisC Wrote: Bill,

That's a great presentation you did.  Pardon my lack of knowledge but can the Concise Sight Reduction be performed for all celestial bodies?  I'll need to study your presentation since, so far as I know, it's the only one available on the web.  Does anyone know if the USNO Almanac still has the Concise method in it?  Heard a rumor they discontinued it.

Granted, you can get Hc in about 10 seconds using a calculator but it sure is a lot more enjoyable using paper and pencil as you demonstrate.

Lous

Thanks. I mostly wanted to help someone get started that (like me) might have trouble finding understandable literature on the subject. 

"...can the Concise Sight Reduction be performed for all celestial bodies?"

There are differences (mostly the corrections) for the planets. With nav stars you are using the GHA of Aries and the SHA for the particular star you are sighting. The moon and Polaris are quite a bit different. One of these days I'll remake the video and try and correct the errors I made and get it a little shorter. Maybe I can work in the other bodies or make videos for them.
I used to be a normal person, then I discovered how to locate myself on this planet using a star.
(03-14-2018, 04:22 AM)BigBill Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 11:53 PM)LouisC Wrote: Bill,

That's a great presentation you did.  Pardon my lack of knowledge but can the Concise Sight Reduction be performed for all celestial bodies?  I'll need to study your presentation since, so far as I know, it's the only one available on the web.  Does anyone know if the USNO Almanac still has the Concise method in it?  Heard a rumor they discontinued it.

Lous

Thanks. I mostly wanted to help someone get started that (like me) might have trouble finding understandable literature on the subject. 

"...can the Concise Sight Reduction be performed for all celestial bodies?"

There are differences (mostly the corrections) for the planets. With nav stars you are using the GHA of Aries and the SHA for the particular star you are sighting. The moon and Polaris are quite a bit different. One of these days I'll remake the video and try and correct the errors I made and get it a little shorter. Maybe I can work in the other bodies or make videos for them.

Thanks Bill! The video certainly helped me understand the NASR.
Due to youtube's policies I have moved the video to a different venue.

It can now be found at: https://www.bitchute.com/video/FJqnhTCNvQHk/
I used to be a normal person, then I discovered how to locate myself on this planet using a star.
BigBill,

People give their souls to Youtube. Good for you!

Better days....

Ed
(03-22-2018, 09:30 PM)EdCa Wrote: BigBill,

People give their souls to Youtube.  Good for you!

Better days....

Ed

I'll leave the old videos up for a while yet.