{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The minimum of paper to carry?
We don't want to lug around more paper than necessary.

For celnav work what have you found to be the minimum amount of paper or documents you need with you to carry out a sight reduction and plot?

For me it's-

- Altitude Correction Tables

- TABLE 4. - GHA and Declination of the Sun for the Years 2001 to 2036- Argument “Orbit Time”

- TABLE 4 — GHA ♈ FOR THE YEARS 2011 - 2019

- Increments & Corrections- Sun only on 2 pages

- Increments & Corrections for Sun, Planets, Aries, Moon (the "yellow pages")

- Table 5- Correction to Tabulated Altitude for Minutes of Declination

- Conversion of Arc to Time

- USNO's Navigational Star Chart

Finally- Pub.No. 249 Vol. 1 (stars) Vol. 2 or Vol. 3 - Latitude pages printed out for where I'm sailing.  I don't own any of the volumes.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
(02-08-2017, 02:03 PM)Fred_B Wrote: We don't want to lug around more paper than necessary.

For celnav work what have you found to be the minimum amount of paper or documents you need with you to carry out a sight reduction and plot?

For me it's-

- Altitude Correction Tables

- TABLE 4. - GHA and Declination of the Sun for the Years 2001 to 2036- Argument “Orbit Time”

- TABLE 4 — GHA ♈ FOR THE YEARS 2011 - 2019

- Increments & Corrections- Sun only on 2 pages

- Increments & Corrections for Sun, Planets, Aries, Moon (the "yellow pages")

- Table 5- Correction to Tabulated Altitude for Minutes of Declination

- Conversion of Arc to Time

- USNO's Navigational Star Chart

Finally- Pub.No. 249 Vol. 1 (stars) Vol. 2 or Vol. 3 -  Latitude pages printed out for where I'm sailing.  I don't own any of the volumes.

That's a good "kit" Fred- a good choice of paper.  

Have you laminated any of it to protect it from water?

Ho 249 is the one I lug around.  Sometimes I don't and only bring a calculator along to determine Hc and Z.  Electronics are what I am trying to minimize but a calculator will provide Hc in about 6 seconds.

Hc= Sin-1(Sin(Latitude) x Sin(declination) + Cos(Latitude) x Cos(declination) x Cos(LHA)

Z= Cos-1((Sin(declination) – Sin(AP Latitude) x Sin(Hc)) / (Cos(AP Latitude) x Cos(Hc)

Must remember the rules for Z though-

If answer is negative, add 180º to Z.
If LHA was less than 180º add 180º to Z.

My paper work is put into a water tight bag.  '249 is kept well out of the way of moisture.
For sight reduction I use the forms here;

Sight reduction forms

The degree marks and minute marks are already in place on the forms and that saves a lot of time over the course of several days.

Roland
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}