{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forms
Does anyone have a form they use for sight reduction that they could pass along?

I'm trying to create one for myself but would like to see what others have made to get ideas.

Thanks,

Craig
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
We made up some forms for Sun, Star, Planet and Moon sight reductions. There are two different types of Star forms; 1 for the "quick method" based on HO-249 Vol. 1 and the other based on "the long method" of sight reduction using HO-249 Vol. 2 and 3 or....HO-229 (declination greater than 29 degrees). We're also working on a sight reduction form for the Moon which is incomplete.

If the declination of a star is over 29 degrees a calculator is easier to solve for Hc and Zn than looking through HO-229.

I'll upload the forms sometime next week.
TheNauticalAlmanac.com now has sight sight reduction forms for;

The Sun- using the ocean horizon

The Sun- using an  artificial horizon

Stars- using the ocean horizon

Stars- using an  artificial horizon

Stars- "quick method" using an artificial horizon based on HO-249 Vol. 1

You can get them here;

Sight Reduction Forms

Please make any suggestions or modifications to the forms that you might have.
Looks like I won't have to make a form.

Great work!

Have you uploaded the Moon and Planet sight reduction forms?

I'm mostly on the hard so the artificial horizon forms are best.

Great work!

Paul
There's no space for chronometer error.

Maybe put it in?

Roland
Roland,

Many forms provide a space for CE. My assumption is that when I take a shot, record the time and then the Hs that I already know what my chronometer error is and the time is adjusted up or down so that the correct UTC of the shot is written down on my index card. Even if I do not know the CE the chronometer can be compared to WWV or at www.Time.is once I get to "the official sight reduction table" (nav. station) or settee.

It might just be something specific to my habits but the time of the shot is always correct or adjusted to be so.

Carlos
I used a form from backbearing.com on a South Atlantic crossing and modified it somewhat.  It has space for a forenoon, noon and afternoon site. 

http://www3.telus.net/jackdale/Sun%20Sights.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Sun Sights.pdf (Size: 197.86 KB / Downloads: 521)
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
As I sail, I praise God and care not.  (Luke Foxe)
(12-17-2015, 10:26 PM)jackdale Wrote: I used a form from backbearing.com on a South Atlantic crossing and modified it somewhat.  It has space for a forenoon, noon and afternoon site. 

It looks a little confusing but I'm sure once used a few times you can adapt to it.

South Atlantic crossing?  Would sure love to hear the story of that voyage!  You made it back alive.

Carlos
(12-18-2015, 01:52 AM)CarlosPindle Wrote:
(12-17-2015, 10:26 PM)jackdale Wrote: I used a form from backbearing.com on a South Atlantic crossing and modified it somewhat.  It has space for a forenoon, noon and afternoon site. 

It looks a little confusing but I'm sure once used a few times you can adapt to it.

South Atlantic crossing?  Would sure love to hear the story of that voyage!  You made it back alive.

Carlos

I will post a version of the sheet with instructions.

I am doing a presentation on the crossing at the Vancouver Boat Show on January 20.  I will post the PowerPoint slides to  my Slideshare account (http://www.slideshare.net/JackDale/) afterwards.
(12-18-2015, 04:33 PM)jackdale Wrote: I will post a version of the sheet with instructions.

I am doing a presentation on the crossing at the Vancouver Boat Show on January 20.  I will post the PowerPoint slides to  my Slideshare account (http://www.slideshare.net/JackDale/) afterwards.

JackDale,

Just took a look again at backbearing's form on his website.  It's too disordered and non-conventional.  The one you made is a better improvement over it.

What does your form's "Zx" mean?  (Had expected to see "Zn").

Whatever works best for you.  Considering you crossed the South Atlantic using it that's a statement of its sufficiency.  What sextant do you use?

We all have our methods.

Paul R.
(12-18-2015, 05:14 PM)P.Rutherford Wrote: What does your form's "Zx" mean?  (Had expected to see "Zn").

"ZX"  be "ZD".

Thanks

Jack
(12-18-2015, 11:56 PM)jackdale Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 05:14 PM)P.Rutherford Wrote: What does your form's "Zx" mean?  (Had expected to see "Zn").

"ZX"  be "ZD".

Thanks

Jack

Oh.  So sorry.  In re-reading your form the words "noon latitude" relating to Zx (Zd) made it all clear.

How many clear days did you have for noon sights during your voyage?

Thank you,

Paul
(12-19-2015, 01:03 AM)P.Rutherford Wrote:

"ZX"  be "ZD".

Thanks

Jack

Oh.  So sorry.  In re-reading your form the words "noon latitude" relating to Zx (Zd) made it all clear.

Thank you,

Paul
About 10 clear days.

The worst days were doing sun run sun, and it would cloud over in the afternoon.  :(
(12-19-2015, 01:03 AM)P.Rutherford Wrote:

"ZX"  be "ZD".

Thanks

Jack

Thank you,

Paul
I tweaked the form a bit, and changed ZX to ZD.
[quote pid='75' dateline='1450544598']
[/quote]

Perfect.

Jack Dale....did I see you in a youtube video about an evacuation via container cargo ship?  I watched only a small portion of it.  That was one HUGE ship.

Evacuation via container cargo ship

Paul
(12-20-2015, 12:58 AM)P.Rutherford Wrote: [quote pid='75' dateline='1450544598']

Perfect.

Jack Dale....did I see you in a youtube video about an evacuation via container cargo ship?  I watched only a small portion of it.  That was one HUGE ship.

Evacuation via container cargo ship

Paul
[/quote]

That is me.

Here is some video from the container ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBn7drXi...e=youtu.be

I have done a presentation on the evac.

http://www.slideshare.net/JackDale/rescue-me-30496650
Very well done.

"If it's done right;
it's boring"

The wx was perfect for the rescue. I'm glad for you that it worked out alright.