{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shooting a star
(12-24-2015, 04:27 PM)Lipr Wrote: I'll bet the CG sextant, even though you were young, was a bronze framed one.

Even though I'm old, I'm pretty sure when I was young it was after the "Bronze Age" started! So I don't imagine it was made of flint.  :-)

Seriously though, I've seen a photo of a sextant made of ebony wood.

(12-24-2015, 04:27 PM)Lipr Wrote: Wouldn't that be nice to have?

Bronze would definitely be the ultimate frame. Drool! Bronze is much more corrosion resistant than even stainless steel in a salt water environment. Bronze apparently can last thousands of  years outdoors without protection.

(12-24-2015, 04:27 PM)Lipr Wrote: The watch need not be anything fancy or expensive.

I've been thinking about the time keeper since your post. Quartz is the way to go for accuracy and dirt cheap. But what I was thinking is that on a boat, if struck by lightning and all electronics gone, digital clocks would likely go as well. I read many years ago about a fisherman on a lake in an aluminum boat with some type of metal fishing pole. His pole was hit by lightning. He survived, the bolt spiraled around the exterior of his body leaving a red track. His jacket zipper fused. His outboard motor was destroyed. So I don't think an electronic time keeper would survive, probably not even a watch.

I'm going with a cheap quartz, but will keep my eyes out for mechanical timekeepers just for fun when going out on the ocean.

(12-24-2015, 04:27 PM)Lipr Wrote: The stop watch that I couldn't remember the name of was "Sight Time" model 911"  I can't find it anywhere so it mustn't be made anymore.

Good memory, and you are correct. None even on eBay, but I found a mention of it on a forum where the poster said he tried to get his modified and the company was no longer in business. GPS ended his business I'd guess. I'm thinking a stopwatch simply adds more complexity to the equation, I like your counting method better. Simple and pure.

I'm going to get a good sextant soon. The navy has begun teaching celestial navigation again (this year) because the sun, moon, and stars cannot be hacked by cyber warfare. So the demand and price of good instruments will likely begin to rise. This may be the sweet spot in time to acquire one.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
shooting a star - by stargazer - 12-24-2015, 02:24 AM
RE: shooting a star - by Lipr - 12-24-2015, 02:41 PM
RE: shooting a star - by stargazer - 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
RE: shooting a star - by Lipr - 12-24-2015, 04:27 PM
RE: shooting a star - by stargazer - 12-27-2015, 01:09 PM
RE: shooting a star - by Lipr - 12-28-2015, 01:30 PM
RE: shooting a star - by c_davidson - 12-31-2015, 01:20 PM