{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the Charts
I think it's NOAA that now provides free pdf charts of US waters.  There are other organizations providing free charts of many parts of the world - but for the life of me i cannot find a single free chart of Philippine waters.

The Philippines had been under direct US control since 1898.  The Pi was a strategic US outpost ever since and enjoyed US protection until the Japanese invasion, then again after WW-2.  Up until the US pulled out in the 1980s all sorts of US watercraft, military or otherwise, plied these waters.  Where are the charts???

Why PI charts are missing from the internet is beyond me.  US citizens paid for them with taxes... now they seem to have disappeared.  

Does anyone have a resource for free Philippine charts?

joe
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Joe,

Good question! I did a quick search for charts and didn't find much. But, I did find this;

https://openseachart.org/doku.php/enc

Go to the bottom of the page and you'll find a listing for South China Sea.
I don't have OpenCPN installed. With OpenCPN, a free chart plotter, you can view ENC or raster files.

Wish I could be more helpful. You're right....where are all the charts we paid for?

Perhaps someone on NoonSite.com could help?

Peace,

Ed
(06-09-2018, 12:42 AM)EdCa Wrote: Go to the bottom of the page and you'll find a listing for South China Sea.
I don't have OpenCPN installed.  With OpenCPN, a free chart plotter, you can view ENC or raster files.
 Ed

Thanks for your reply, Ed.

Ive seen that chart but it does not include the PI islands proper,,, just the western seaboard of PI.  There were many US bases in the PI.  I live very near a huge dry-dock and ship repair facility used both by the US and Japanese.  The channel can be treacherous..  They cant tell me that the US didnt survey here, and Manila, and Palawan, and the whole of PI for that matter.

thanks for your interest
joe