{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Added- Moon phases and Table 3
I've added a few pages to the 2018 and 2019 Nautical Almanac;

- 2018 and 2019 Moon Phases

- TABLE 3- Conversion of Arc to Time

Perhaps you'll find them useful?

As time permits The Nautical Almanac for the year 2020 will be updated with the same pages.

Thank you,

Johannes
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Hello Johannes,

The table off Moon phases is a nice addition. But to see at a glance what moon you can expect today.
A month/day moonphase card is much more informative.

See attached pdf.

regards
HermanD

Attached Files
.pdf   MoonPhase2018.pdf (Size: 65.09 KB / Downloads: 418)
Several aspects of the card are very good. At a quick glance you can see what phase the moon is. "A picture is worth a thousand words". And, frankly, most of of us think that way- it's better to see a picture than have to think about what the moon would look like.

The confusion is with the letters at the top of the page. Single letter abbreviations can quickly lead to confusion since we don't refer to months in a single letter format. There is no time reference so you don't know whether the reckoning is in GMT or Local Time.

Regardless, it's still very good!

Thank you, Herman.

Johannes
Herman,

That's pretty nice. Do you know where to get the moon phase card or program so that I can make one for any year?

Carlos
Hello Johannes,

Solved the month ambuigity. See attachment.
What do you mean with GMT or Local time? The card is a far as I understand timefree?
Only for 2019 need a new one.

Hello Carlos,

Just took it somewhere from the internet, if you google you must be able to find it.
I have this document on the wall besides my desk, so I turn my head and know if there is a moon tonight.

regards,
HermanD

Attached Files
.pdf   MoonPhase2018-v2.pdf (Size: 69.66 KB / Downloads: 334)
Herman,

A date based on GMT/UTC is often different than local time. For example; January 2, 2018 the full moon is at GMT 02:24. Based on Local Time in the Eastern United States full moon would occur at 21:24 hours (9:24 PM) on January 1, 2018.

It's a small matter, of course, but it's nice to be precise in some situations.

I'd like to find a program that would create the images so they could be included in The Nautical Almanac.

Again, thank you.

Johannes H.
Herman's Moon Phase pdf inspired efforts to find Moon Phase charts for any year.  I found the solution but it wasn't easy as most of the charts are for sale in printed form.

A website- https://www.davidchandler.com/online-res...-calendar/

...has similar phase charts as Herman posted.  

Finally, I found LCal  (The Moon Phase Calendar program) here- http://pcal.sourceforge.net/
...and figured out how to use it.  If you can't figure out how to use the program I'll make a Moon phase chart for any year or time zone you wish.

The end result is that The Nautical Almanacs for 2018, 2019 and 2020 have an additional Moon Phase Chart in graphic form.  They are based on Greenwich Time.

If you're so inclined to download them they are attached below.

Clear skies,

Johannes

Attached Files
.pdf   Moon Phases 2018.pdf (Size: 40.14 KB / Downloads: 342)
.pdf   Moon Phases 2019.pdf (Size: 39.94 KB / Downloads: 336)
.pdf   Moon Phases 2020.pdf (Size: 40.04 KB / Downloads: 330)