{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theodolite
(03-11-2017, 11:56 PM)Rdutton Wrote: TJA,

If my memory serves me correctly the horizontal limb of my K&E could be read down to 0° 01' (1 minute of arc).  That's the best I can remember.

Most of the difficulty in using a transit (sextant, too) is leveling it and keeping it level after setup.  The remaining complications are often just related to reading the vernier.

You have a very unusual interest to say the least.  North African explorers!  Do you mean Ralph Bagnold?!  What a man he was!

Have you followed anything about the LRDG's during WW II?  

Though related to problems in air navigation, have you ever seen the movie, "Sole Survivor" with Richard Basehart?  It's a movie loosely based on the flight of the "Lady B-Good" during WW II.

Here's the entire movie- Sole Survivor

Yard sales are great as eventually someone wants to sell "some old mechanical thing with a telescope on it" owned by their now long gone uncle.

Good luck,

Roland

Yes, Ralph Bagnold. His pre-war adventures should be made into a movie. Considering that Almasy was also a real person and they made the fictional English Patient using him as a character you'd think the actual events would make a better more genuine film.  Funny, I watched Sole Survivor about a month ago. 

Not that I'll ever get the chance but I'd love to get out into the deserts and try my hand navigating.

Thanks for the tips

~Bill
I used to be a normal person, then I discovered how to locate myself on this planet using a star.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
Theodolite - by BigBill - 03-11-2017, 04:20 AM
RE: Theodolite - by Rdutton - 03-11-2017, 12:06 PM
RE: Theodolite - by c_davidson - 03-11-2017, 12:16 PM
RE: Theodolite - by BigBill - 03-11-2017, 02:25 PM
RE: Theodolite - by Rdutton - 03-11-2017, 11:56 PM
RE: Theodolite - by BigBill - 03-12-2017, 01:04 AM