{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old no-plotting method for finding Lat and long.
(05-17-2021, 11:47 PM)Rumata Wrote: Greetings,  gentlemen,

I'm pretty  sure that many of you are familiar with  the  method,  old one, which  I recently  discovered for myself.
I refer to C.A. ("Cloudy Weather" Johnson's "Double Chronometer  Method"). I found the copy of old book  and read and tried to use this method.

I came across this thread yesterday while browsing and joined the forum. A few years ago I worked a sight by Johnson's method. I was proud that I was the only person alive who had used this method. But I was wrong! It seems that there is a small group of strange people who enjoy using old navigational tables.

I have the 1905 edition of On Finding the Lat and Long in Cloudy Weather etc.

I believe that Johnson's method is a modified Sumner method. Modified in the sense that the lat & long are determined by calculation rather then  by plotting. In Johnson's era the ony  practicable way of doing the calculations was by tables. Today with a calculator the calculations are easy.

You mention pub 260 for azimuth. In my opinion the A B C tables are the easiest and quickest way of finding azimuth. I use the tables from Norie but thay are also in  Burton and Blackburne. I cannot find them in Inman. The get a mention in Bowditch 1958 but the actual tables are not included.

For what it is worth I am an armchair navigator. I have never navigated when my life depended on it. From my username you my be able to guess another of my navigational interests.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
RE: Old no-plotting method for finding Lat and long. - by amnvol1938 - 06-29-2023, 04:05 AM