{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apparent time
Gentlemen, hope  you  can help  me in  this  little  "predicament."

At  first ,  a few  general  terms:

1. Apparent time is a  measure of  the  sun'  true  position.  To  get  Greenwich  apparent  time at  any  instant  we just  convert GHA  of the  sun  into time (hh/min/ec).,  We  need  apparent  time  to  find  when  the  sun  will  be  on  the  observer's  meridian. Local  apparent  noone,  when  the  observations  for  latitude  are  made. We  know  that  it is  different  for  each meridian,  and  unless two  places  are  on  the  same  meridian- apparent time  is  different.

2. On  the  Mercator  chart  every  parallel  is expanded in  the  ration of  the secant of  its latitude.
To  avoid  local  distortion every  meridian  of  a  Mercator  chart must also  be  expaned  in  the  vicinity of  each  parallel by  multiplying  it by  the secantr  of  the  latitude of  the  parallel.

My  question:

When  the  vessel  is  located  above let's say  50 deg Lat. and  we are  trying  to find  LAN the  natural  curvature  of  meridians  would  make  GHA slightly  shorter  than  Mercator  chart  projections (  straight,  parallel  lines). And  it  means  LAN  calculated  would  be  different  from  LAN  real ,  considering expansion  ratio  of scant  of  the  latitude.  And  it means  the  moment  we  are catching  the  sun  in a sextant  is not exactly  the time  the  sun  is in Zenith.  Difference  should  not  be  significant,  but  I just  want  your  expert  opinion about  it.

Please,  advice.

Thank  you
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
Apparent time - by Rumata - 02-05-2021, 03:18 AM
RE: Apparent time - by P.Rutherford - 02-05-2021, 02:51 PM
RE: Apparent time - by Rumata - 02-05-2021, 05:07 PM
RE: Apparent time - by pabrides - 02-06-2021, 08:41 AM