{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious old navy math techniques.
Nice to hear about the publications, shipmate. Something I'd be very interested in investigating.

Just because their math techniques seem antiquated doesnt mean they were wrong. Just last night I was working on a small boat design. I used a slide rule to perform every calculation and had lots of fun, but there was a certain problem with which i had trouble. So instead of continuing with decimals in that problem I tried using a fraction technique (improper fractions) learned from an old naval architecture book I've been reading and the problem worked out ok. Using fractions the old fashioned way uncomplicated the math in this instance and allowed me a better look at what was going on. As a kid in school I was taught to avoid improper fractions and I have my whole life. Now I resent those educators for narrowing my mind.

My new moto: THERE IS NOTHING IMPROPER ABOUT IMPROPER FRACTIONS

That slide rule you saw in the antique store was well overpriced. Go to garage and yard sales and you can find them for a small fraction of the shop price. Sometimes you can get them for free. Of course there are rare slide rules out there for which a collector might pay a high price, but normally slide rules are cheap. Keep looking, slide rules are not rare. There are warehouses still full of them. I just bought a perfect 10 inch engineering slide rule for $14.

My question is, are the books you mentioned available as pdf downloads?

Cheers.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 02:48 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by pabrides - 02-03-2021, 03:53 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 04:48 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 06:53 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 05:49 PM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-09-2021, 03:42 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-12-2021, 03:29 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-13-2021, 05:00 PM