{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious old navy math techniques.
Greetings,  gentlemen.  I found a  couple  of interesting  old  books  which,  considering  lockdowns  and  general inability to  cross   a street  without  damn mask,  may  help  to develop  not  very  useful  skills.  But  a  lot  of  people  have  used them  for  sure. One  of them  Mathematics for  navigators  by  Delwyn  Hyatt.  Yes, 1944. Of  course  it  is  kind  of  obsolete. But please  consider  the  fact it  was taught during  WWII to officers  who would  serve  in  the  real situations,  not in a  front of  a  simulator.  In  many  cases  its  methods  are kinda "not  straight  forward" to  say least.  But  some are  really  good.  For  instance,  Adding  and  subtracting  figures  from  left  to  right,  they  way  we write  them. I  tried  it  and  after  several  attempts  found  out  that  it is much  faster  than  traditional  ones. Also,  havesine  and other  formulas  presented  in  quite  different,  again,  not  easy  for  me to  understand,  wording  and  form.  Anyway,  real  navy  folks  really  used  it.  So,  as  a  due respect tio  their  work,  let's  try  to  understand their  daily  routines  doing  it.  Not  easy,  my  opinion.

Another one, Navigation and NAutical  Astronomy,  by  Dutton,  1943.  Again, thyere  are  a lot  of  info,  which  probably  none  of  us  would ever  use,  but  there are  also a  lot  of proves  and  explanations,  which  we  take  for granted  without  even  thinking  where did  it  come  from.  Moder editions  of  Dutton   don't  have  some  of  it.  I  consider  it  as of  a  hystorical   value.

I  am  always  fascinated  by  the  old methods  of  navigation, when Energizer'  Bunny  wasn't  even  conceived  yet.  No  batteries,  cloudy  skies,  rolling  horizon  and wet  and  misery  all  around.  And  they  did  it. Years ago  we  were taught  to  use sliding  rules.  It  gives  you  anything,  up  to  3  decimal.  Recently  saw  it  in  the  antique  shop  for  $271.  And  only  then  I  realized  how  ancient am  I.

Thank  you.

Respectfully,
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 02:48 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 04:48 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 06:53 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-03-2021, 05:49 PM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-09-2021, 03:42 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-12-2021, 03:29 AM
RE: Curious old navy math techniques. - by Rumata - 02-13-2021, 05:00 PM