{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum equipment list
(06-23-2018, 10:17 PM)Rdutton Wrote: For an absolute minimum?

- Sextant- Astra III-B
- Chronometer as listed above
- TABLE 4- GHA and Declination of the Sun for the Years 2001 to 2036
- TABLE 4- Long Term GHA Aries
- 2018 Navigational Stars SHA & Dec  (for years beyond 2018 the SHA and declination don't change very much)
- Altitude Corrections for the Sun, Moon, Stars and planets
- Increments & Corrections (yellow pages)
- USNO Navigational Star Chart
- Casio calculator (several spares) in which case I wouldn't need Pub. No. 249 at all.

Now, when do we set sail?

Roland

Good Show Roland... now that's the spirit.
I have yet to decide on method and tools. I think though that my list might be shorter and less technical than your list.  I am still looking at Ageton's method to reduce paper, and alternatives to the sextant (such as modified Gunter's quadrant with which Ive had much success and might learn to trust on a long voyage.) I did not notice any charts in your list.  I too am undecided  as to which type of chart and how many - perhaps as an absolute minimum the gnomonic projections or great circle charts covering large areas would do and a few local charts of dangerous areas (great barrier reef) and planned ports of call.  I am decided on space in that I would need absolutely an enclosed cabin within which to work the observations - however I think i could do without electric lights or calculators.  I might even limit myself to sun observations thus reducing more paper... Your table 4 choice is spot-on...   How about depth determination and ship speed - what equipment would you choose?  or would depth and speed not be important for you; and what about a compass?.... I once read an at-sea account that indicated ships passing would frequently speak and share data such as position and clock readings thus helping each captain verify position records and chronometer settings... of course the worlds oceans are not as congested as they once were.... more later.
joe
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
Minimum equipment list - by pabrides - 06-23-2018, 11:30 AM
RE: Minimum equipment list - by Rdutton - 06-23-2018, 10:17 PM
RE: Minimum equipment list - by pabrides - 06-24-2018, 08:37 AM
RE: Minimum equipment list - by Rdutton - 06-25-2018, 07:27 PM
RE: Minimum equipment list - by pabrides - 07-20-2018, 06:39 AM