{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sextant wanted and other questions
(06-08-2018, 12:44 PM)Rdutton Wrote: The Altitude Correction Table makes it a lot easier to arrive at Ho and saves time.

Does that make sense?

Roland

Thanks Roland,

Your explanation made HP as clear as the ocean blue - thanks so much. 

However, I am still curious as to why someone might want to use the separate refraction table https://thenauticalalmanac.com/Increment...0Table.pdf  (last page left). 

My thinking is that perhaps the separate refraction table might be better than the formula I wrote of in my post for a Gunter or back-staff sun observation: Ha+LLc-SD...  If the separate Refr table applies, using it might be faster than using the star refr or the formula.  I just dont know which is the best method or which would be the most accurate, disregarding my instrument or equipment operational errors. Maybe I should have mentioned that taking a Gunter or back-staff shot does not involve specific limbs, thus one of the reasons for my concern... the sun and moon tables imply accurate observation of a specific limb with a sextant. Parallax, LLc, or ULc may not even apply to a Gunter or back-staff shot because the whole disc is used.

I wish I was smart enough to establish a reliable and accurate procedure for observation tools other than sextant.

joe
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}

Messages In This Thread
Sextant wanted and other questions - by pabrides - 06-08-2018, 11:49 AM
RE: Sextant wanted and other questions - by pabrides - 06-08-2018, 01:30 PM